I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream for Ice Cream!

By Kyrie Collins, Highlands Ranch-Parker-Castle Rock-Lone Tree Publisher July 12, 2017

In 1984, President Reagan declared July National Ice Cream Month and the third Sunday (or should we say Sundae?) of the month National Ice Cream Day. Grab a bowl or a cone and a scoop (or 2 ... or 3 ...) of your favorite flavor ice cream and enjoy! #NationalIceCreamDay


  • 90% of the U.S. population eats ice cream (I'm guessing the remaining 10% just don't have freezers).
  • Americans eat more than 23 pounds of ice cream every year — we're the top ice cream consuming nation in the world.
  • The majority of U.S. ice cream and frozen dessert businesses are family-owned and have been around more than 50 years.​
  • The world's biggest ice cream sundae, made on July 24, 1988, took four hours to create and weighed nearly 54,917 pounds!
  • Immigrants at Ellis Island were served vanilla ice cream as part of their "Welcome to America!" meal.
  • The first ice cream truck hit the streets in 1920.
  • The five most popular flavors in the U.S. according to sales are vanilla, chocolate, butter pecan, strawberry, and Neapolitan (in that order).
  • According to Twitter, however, the most-tweeted flavors are chocolate, vanilla, cookie dough, strawberry, and chocolate chip (in that order).
  • Chocolate syrup is the favorite topping.
  • The major ingredient in ice cream is ... AIR! Then why so many calories?!
  • 85% of the vanilla beans used for ice cream are harvested in Madagascar


  • ​Download the free McDonald's app for a FREE vanilla soft serve cone on July 16.
  • Download the free Baskin Robbins app and choose from one of four offers: (1) buy one ice cream cone, get one for 99¢; (2) buy one single scoop warm cookie ice cream sandwich, get one for 99¢; (3) buy one classic two-scoop sundae, get one for 99¢; (4) save $2 on a Polar Pizza
  • Visit Whole Foods to buy two pints of Ben & Jerry's ice cream and yogurt for $6.