This craft is simple, unique, and perfect for this time of year when everyone is beginning to tend to their gardens. Give it to someone special for Mother's Day or just to let them know they're special!
What You Need for Plantable Paper
- Napkins - in various colors
- Plastic container with screw top lid
- Flower seeds
- Wax paper
- Cookie cutter - large enough to place your fingers in
- Towels (2 to 3)
- Cooling rack (optional)
What You Need for Greeting Card
- Construction paper
- Double-sided tape (or other adhesive)
- Markers, crayons, colored pencils, etc
What You Do:
- Tear napkins into pieces about half the size of a postage stamp. Place the napkin pieces into the plastic container until the container is about half full. Fill the container with water. Screw lid onto container. Shake container for about 30 seconds or until all napkin pieces are saturated with water.
- Take lid off container. Place the strainer/colander in a sink. Pour contents into strainer/colander.
- Lay a towel on your work surface. Place a piece of wax paper on the towel. Place the cookie cutter on the wax paper. Lay a layer of wet napkin at the bottom of the cookie cutter, making sure not to leave any holes.
- Sprinkle flower seeds over wet napkins.
- Place remainder of wet napkins in strainer on top of the flower seeds.
- Take second towel and place it on top of wet napkins in the cookie cutter. Press out water. Move to a dry part of the towel and repeat pressing out water. Continue until most of the water has been pressed out of the wet napkins.
- Carefully remove the molded paper from the cookie cutter and place on the cooling rack to dry.
- Attach plantable paper to greeting card with double-sided tape. Be sure to include directions for planting the seeds.