Nothing warms the belly like a bowl full of chili. Although my husband and I like it spicy, my kids don't, but everyone in our household likes pumpkin! Don't expect any leftovers!
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (14½ ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, undrained
- 1 packet (1.25 ounces) of mild chili seasoning mix
- ½ cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar, packed
In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, brown meat till no longer pink. Add onions and continue cooking till softened, 2-3 minutes. Drain juices. Add the remaining ingredients and stir well to mix.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Add water or beef broth if a thinner chili is desired.
Serve with warmed or toasted whole wheat bread.