Rainbow cake and cupcakes have become very popular, and with good reason... they are fun! Kids and adults are amazed at the rainbow tie-dye pattern created by adding a little bit of food coloring to cake batter.
We decided to try the same experiment with pancakes! Colorful pancakes are very simple to make and you can create just about anything with a little bit of imagination! My boys ate them as quickly as I made them; I had to hide a few just for photos!
You Will Need:
- Pancake mix – prepared as stated on the box
- Food coloring – we used red, yellow, orange, green, blue, and purple
- Small bowls and spoons (for the different colors)
- Colored sprinkles (optional)
- Prepare batter and divide evenly into small bowls. You should have equal small bowls of batter and colors you would like to use.
- Put a few drops of food coloring into each bowl and mix well. You can also add sprinkles for even more color!
- Heat skillet and cook pancakes as directed on pancake mix.
- Now it is time to create! Simply use a spoon to place different color batter onto skillet (a small squeeze bottle would work well for this too). Use your imagination and experiment with all different designs. We made shamrocks and gold for St. Patrick's Day, along with many different rainbow designs!
- Serve hot with butter and syrup or just enjoy them as is!
Plan on creating some colored pancakes of your own? We would love for you to share some photos on the Macaroni Kid Highlands Ranch-Parker-Castle Rock Facebook page!