Here's a recipe that is both kid-friendly and disgusting... Gelatin Worms! Your kids will love slurping these up just like the birds do. You will want to save (or Pin) this recipe to make for a Halloween party!
Yummy Gelatin Worms
- 2 boxes (3 ounces each) raspberry gelatin
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- Green food coloring
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups boiling water
- 100 flexible straws (to make lines on the worms)
- Tall one-quart container (like a milk container)
1. Mix the raspberry gelatin and unflavored gelatin into the boiling water and stir until everything is dissolved, at least two minutes.
2. Set the gelatin mixture aside to cool until it's warm and steam is no longer coming up from the mixture.
3. Meanwhile, take your straws, stretch them out, and put them in the one-quart container with the flexible side down at the bottom of the container. You want them to be crowded together. The narrower the container, the longer your worms will be.
4. Stir in ½ cup of the heavy whipping cream and about 10 drops of the green food coloring. See if the mixture looks enough like the color of a worm. Continue stirring in the cream, food coloring, or both until you're happy with the color.
5. Pour the gelatin mixture into the container. The mixture should fill up to about halfway up the straws. Leave the container in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours. These "worms" need more time in the refrigerator than a regular gelatin recipe.
6. Once firm, remove the straws from the container, run warm water over them, and push the worms out. And there you go! Worms you can eat!