Here's a fun twist on a dinner time staple! The Sloppy Joe recipe I use was given to me by my dear friend Barb Gatto. It is a family favorite and I just decided to jazz it up for Halloween! You can use whatever recipe you wish.
- 1 pound of extra lean ground meat (and this is important because you don't brown the meat first so you can't drain it)
- Dash of pepper
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 Tablespoons chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- Hamburger buns
- Mozzarella and cheddar cheese slices
- Black and Spanish (green) olives
- Assorted cookie cutters in Halloween shapes
- Heat a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add all ingredients ... do not brown meat first ... I think that is why the flavor is so good!
- Lower heat and cook for about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cooked through.
- In the meantime, use the cookie cutters to cut the cheese slices into shapes.
- Cut olives to resemble eyes, mouths, and spiders. (For spiders, cut the olive in half lengthwise. Use one half for the body. Cut remaining half into legs.
- The pimiento of the Spanish olives make great blood for bat fangs!
- For spider web, you can either cut the cheese into strips and piece together or just cut sections of the cheese out freehand to resemble the web.
- When finished put a small amount of the sloppy joe mixture on each bun. Top with your spooky cheese creation and place in 250˚F oven for about 5 minutes. It will melt and look even spookier!