Whether you're entertaining friends and family for the Big Game or just want to make a delicious appetizer for a weekend meal, homemade onion rings with a yummy dipping sauce are a perfect match!
Homemade Onion Rings
- 2 large onions, cut into thick slices
- ¾ cup flour
- ¼ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 cup beer (or seltzer water)
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Water (for thinning batter if necessary)
- Oil for frying
Combine all the ingredients (except the onions) until the batter is smooth. If the batter appears too thick, add a little water to thin it out. Dredge the sliced onions in the batter until covered. Place onions in hot oil, frying about 2-3 minutes per side, until golden brown. Remove from pan and drain on paper towel. Best served hot!
Onion Ring Dipping Sauce
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons ketchup
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1½ teaspoons horseradish sauce
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
Stir together all ingredients. Serve immediately with onion rings or refrigerate until ready to serve.