I have never been one to go out on New Year's Eve. Even as a child, I rang in the New Year at home with my parents and sister. We'd play board games and watch movies.
From time to time, we hosted family and friends. It was always laid back and just a nice relaxing evening with those closest to us. Midnight would strike, the ball would drop, and one by one, we would clink our glasses filled with the beverage of choice, then a kiss and a "goodnight," and the celebration was done.
This year, I came up with some special fun for the kids and the adults as well, and we'll be welcoming in the New Year one bag at a time.
I cut about two inches off the top of regular lunch bags. Each bag was marked with a different hour, from 1:00 PM to 11:00 PM. Then I placed a fun activity inside each one and closed them with yarn (you could also use tape, glue, or staples). I then hung them up on twine with clothespins.
I am pretty excited about what I have for us to do... here are some ideas for you!
- Color a picture (type "Happy New Year Coloring Page" into a search engine).
- Have a dance party.
- Play a board game.
- Try a round of indoor hopscotch with masking or painter's tape.
- Eat a cupcake.
- Play Balloon Ping Pong.
- Go outside for a snowball toss.
- Make each other into snowmen using toilet paper, scarves, hats, and construction paper.
- Put on a puppet show.
- Make a confetti launcher and noisemaker for midnight.
- Have a jumping jacks contest.
- Play Simon Says.
- Build something with LEGO® bricks.
- Play a "Minute to Win It" game like:
- Defying Gravity – You must keep two balloons in the air for 60 seconds only using your mouth.
- Tissue Toss – Using both hands, empty an entire tissue box.
- Tweeze Me – Using tweezers, relocate 5 Tic-Tacs from one bowl to another
- M&M Race – Using a straw, transfer M&Ms from one plate to another
- This Blows – Using a straw and a plastic cup, blow till your cup falls off the opposite side of the table.
- Face the Cookie – Place a cookie on your forehead, and only using facial muscles, you must try to get the cookie in your mouth. No hands!
- Unicorn – Stack 7 cookies on your forehead.
So there you have it — some ideas and maybe a little inspiration. You can pick up most of the items for this fun day at your local dollar store. Celebrating with your family this News Year's Eve is priceless! Have fun and stay safe.
Happy New Year to you and yours!
Find more New Year events, crafts, recipes, and goals at bit.ly/MKDCNYE!