Looking for a fun and educational science project? We have one for you!
This simple science experiment will show your children an exploding example of chemical reactions — right in your backyard! Plus, it is quick and easy with little prep or cleanup involved.
What You Need:
- Diet soda, any brand or flavor (since diet is sugar free, it will create a slightly less sticky mess)
- Mentos® Mints, any color or flavor
What You Do:
- Find a nice outdoor grassy location.
- Leave your soda bottle out in the sun while you are setting up because warm soda tends to explode more.
- Remove the cap from the soda and get ready.
- Quickly drop a few Mentos in the soda bottle and watch it explode! The more Mentos you put into the soda bottle before it starts exploding, the higher the soda plume will be.
The Science Behind the Fun:
The Mentos react with the soda to create a rush of carbonation. This is the perfect example of why you never mix chemicals, because they could have an exploding reaction!
While there is much speculation, we do not know the exact reason why Mentos react to soda. Maybe your Mac Kid will grow up to be the scientist who solves the Mentos + Soda mystery!
Visit our Pinterest board for more Cool Crafts & Silly Science!