I love my slow cooker! Honestly, it is my favorite kitchen appliance (aside from my beloved dishwasher), so I am always modifying my traditional recipes to use in my slow cooker.
Easy Slow Cooker Enchiladas
- 1 lb. ground turkey or beef or chicken breast
- 1 taco seasoning packet (or 1/4 cup taco seasoning if you buy it in bulk like I do)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn, drained
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese
- 12 corn tortillas
- 28 ounce can red enchilada sauce (I use mild, use what you like)
- Optional: salsa, sliced olives, chopped tomatoes, sour cream, avocado or guacamole
Brown the meat (or cook chicken breasts and shred or cut up) then add taco seasoning and about 1/2 cup water. Once stirred in, add the beans and corn and mix up. Cut up the tortillas into small pieces.
Line the slow cooker or spray with cooking spray.
Put about 1/2 cup enchilada sauce in the bottom and cover with tortilla pieces. Next, layer the meat/bean/corn mixture, pour over some more enchilada sauce, and top with mixed cheese.
Continue to layer, two more times, tortilla pieces, meat mixture, enchilada sauce, and cheese.
For my final layer, I added tortilla pieces, the rest of the enchilada sauce and topped with the rest of the cheese.
Cook on LOW for 4-5 hours. Serve with your favorite toppings.