I crave hearty comfort foods on cold winter nights but cream-laden casseroles generally have more calories than I want to consume in one sitting!
This recipe is incredibly delicious and satisfying, but is made with lean meat, whole grains, and nutrient-packed peppers. All the pleasure with none of the guilt!
Southwestern Stuffed Peppers
- 1 pound ground turkey or very lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 package taco seasoning (or make your own)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup dry quinoa or brown rice, prepared according to package
- 1 cup salsa
- 4 bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 1/2 to 1 cup shredded Mexican-blend or Pepper Jack cheese
Preheat oven to 350˚F. Brown meat over medium heat; drain fat. Add onion, garlic, taco seasoning, and water. Simmer 10 minutes or until liquid is mostly cooked off. Stir in prepared quinoa/rice and salsa.
Place prepared bell peppers cut side up in a large baking dish. Fill peppers with meat mixture; top with shredded cheese. Cover dish loosely with foil and bake 30 minutes.
If desired, garnish with additional cheese, diced tomatoes, jalapeños, and sour cream. We serve with a side salad (hurray, more veggies!) and refried beans.