It is apple season and you can do a fun little science experiment with them that your kids will love.
What You Need:
- Cored Apples
- Baking Soda (amount doesn't matter)
- Vinegar (amount doesn't matter)
- Pie Dish
- Apple Pie Spice (optional)
- Food Coloring (optional)
What You Do:
- Place a cored apple in the pie dish.
- Pour baking soda into the hole in the apple.
- Add vinegar to the middle of the apple.
- Observe the reaction of the baking soda and vinegar when combined.
- Keep mixing the two ingredients as long as desired and the explosions can keep happening over and over again!
Optional: Add food coloring to the vinegar for colored fizz.
Optional: Add apple pie spice to the baking soda to create apple pie scent.
The Science Behind the Fun:
Explain to your kids that you are creating carbon dioxide gas by combining the baking soda and vinegar, which is what is making the fizzy eruption.
You can also do this with a pumpkin or quickly throw everything into a zippered sandwich bag and seal it up. See if you can get the bag to explode!