In elementary school I learned how to make my own scratch art in art class. I'd never heard of scratch art before then, and making it became one of my favorite things to do in art class.
I had flashbacks to that DIY scratch art fun when I recently saw some packets of scratch art you could buy for kids. When I told my 6-year-old that I used to make my own, she was excited for us to make some ourselves.
DIY scratch art is an easy craft that's perfect for rainy or cold days at home, so we decided to bypass the scratch art you can buy in the store and make our own.
What You Need:
- Heavy paper or card stock
- Crayons in a variety of colors
- Black tempera paint
- Paint brush
What You Do:
1. Cover the paper completely with crayon. Kids will need to press very firmly while coloring. Color in a rainbow pattern, use all one color, or just color randomly.
2. Paint over the colored paper with black paint. It might take two coats. Let dry in between.
3. Let dry completely.
4. Scratch away! A toothpick or wooden skewer works great.
That's it! That's all it takes to make your own DIY scratch art at home. Hope your kids have fun creating their own DIY scratch art masterpieces!