Listen mama bear, you deserve a decadent breakfast — and you will really enjoy this rich and delicious casserole that can be put together the night before and thrown in the oven the morning of Mother's Day!
Plus, it's easy enough for your kids to take the lead in making it so be sure to share this recipe with the hubs!
We love this casserole because you can addyour favorite ingredients to the basic recipe.
Not sure what other ingredients to add?
We've compiled a list of scrumptious ideas for you, because you have other things to do on Mother's Day — like lying in bed binging on Netflix while the kids tackle the dishes piled in the sink and the husband dismantles the laundry towers in the corners of the bedrooms!
Happy Mother's Day from one mama to another — enjoy!
Decadent Croissant Casserole
- 3 large croissants or 6 small, torn into pieces
- 5 eggs
- 1¼ cup of your favorite shredded cheese (we used Monterey Jack)
- 1 cup Half and Half
- ½ cup chopped chives or green onions
1.) Spray an 8- or 9-inch baking dish or large cast iron skillet with cooking spray.
2.) Layer torn croissants and shredded cheese in the dish.
3.) In a large bowl, whisk half and half, chives, and eggs. Salt and pepper to taste.
4.) Pour egg mixture over croissants and cheese, making sure to press down on any pieces to moisten through.
5.) Cover and refrigerate overnight.
6.) In the morning, heat oven to 325°F. Bake covered with foil for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake another 25 to 30 minutes longer or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Add or substitute some of these other ingredient combinations to make it your favorite:
- Shredded cheddar cheese, 1 cup of chopped cooked bacon, and ½ cup chopped green onions
- Shredded Swiss cheese and 1 cup of diced ham
- Shredded mozzarella, 1 cup of cooked crumbled sausage, ½ cup diced tomatoes.
- Cubed cream cheese, ½ cup chopped smoked salmon, 2 tablespoons capers, ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- Shredded taco cheese, 1 cup cooked ground beef, ½ cup diced tomatoes, handful chopped cilantro
- Shredded cheddar cheese, 1 cup cooked ground beef, ½ cup diced pickles, ¼ cup finely chopped red onion, handful of torn basil
This recipe originally appeared in Macaroni Kid EATS! Subscribe today to Macaroni Kid EATS! to receive free family-friendly recipes right in your inbox once a month!