Taco night is one of my kids' favorite dinners, but sometimes I just don't have the time to put together all of the ingredients for tacos and don't want the mess in the kitchen. We took a spin on the classic taco night and turned it into Slow Cooker Taco Soup.
This taco soup is a delicious meal that is very versatile and easy to make.
Slow Cooker Taco Soup
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can (15 oz) of your favorite beans (pinto, black, kidney, northern), drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15.25 oz) corn, undrained (or substitute 14-16 oz. frozen corn)
- 1 can (14.5 oz) beef broth
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10 oz)of diced tomatoes with green chiles (e.g., Ro-Tel)
- 2-3 Tablespoons taco seasoning (or make your own)
- 1-2 Tablespoons diced onion (white, yellow, or red)
Place all ingredients in your slow cooker; stir together. Cook on LOW for for 6-8 hours.
Remove chicken breasts and shred, then return chicken to slow cooker. Add water or more broth if you would like a thinner soup.
If you like your soup spicier, you can add extra taco seasoning or chili powder. (Tip: This soup gets spicier if it sits overnight in the fridge and you eat it the next day!)
- Top with one (or more) of the following: crushed tortilla chips, sour cream, shredded cheese, guacamole, fresh cilantro, green onions, black olives
- Serve soup over cooked rice
- Add an extra spicy kick to the soup by adding a small can of diced green chiles or a diced jalapeño before cooking
- Don't want to use chicken breasts? You can make this soup vegetarian by adding more beans or different kinds of vegetables like diced bell peppers, chopped mushrooms, or zucchini (add near the end of cooking time so they don't get mushy!). You can also substitute chicken breasts with ground chicken, ground turkey, or ground beef. If using ground meat, cook the meat before adding it to the slow cooker, and reduce cooking time to 2-3 hours.
Want more recipes like these? Here are 8 Freezer to Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes.